By Lydia A. (10 years old)
Peter was doing homework in his room one afternoon. He didn’t like to do homework, so he became very bored. He began to look for something interesting to do.
He soon found a box of matches and took a matchstick out. He struck the match against the flint and admired the beautiful flame happily.
The matchstick was about to burn itself out when Peter yelled loudly and flung the still burning match away. It landed in the waste paper basket. There was a lot of paper in the basket and they quickly caught fire.
A sudden gust of wind blew a burning piece of paper towards the curtain and it soon caught fire too. The fire got bigger and bigger and that frightened Peter so much that his legs turned into jelly. He was trembling so much that he couldn’t move his legs.
Luckily, a young woman passing by saw the burning house and quickly took out her cellphone to call the fire brigade. The fire engines arrived after a short while.
Peter was trapped in the house as he was still standing at the same spot, even though the fire was about to consume him. A firefighter used a ladder to climb through a window. He found Peter, grabbed him and then carried him out of the window to safety.
Peter was crying during the whole rescue. He was very sorry that his house had burnt down. He vowed never to play with fire again in the future.
- Boy, 5, starts Tucson house fire by playing with candle (azstarnet.com)
- Boy playing with matches burns two homes (abc4.com)
- Boys playing with a lighter set Lorain house on fire (chronicle.northcoastnow.com)